Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Mr. Mayfield





 Last August, I spotted something close to the road near our house.  I saw two HUGE eyes reflecting back at me as I drove out of our subdivision.  After running my errand, I noticed that the creature was still there.  As I drove a little closer, I noticed that it was an Owl...on the ground... and shaking his head.  Because I am an animal lover, I called one of my friends that is very knowledgeable about wildlife and actually rehabilitates wild animals.  She immediately captured the owl and brought him back to her facility.

The next day, she called to give me details of the owl, and told me that it didn't look good.  She took the owl to the vet and they determined that the owl had major head trauma and was blind because of the swelling in the brain.  Along with that, he was severely dehydrated and starving- basically at deaths door.  Along with fluids and nourishment, the vet administered some anti-inflammatory drugs to help with the swelling in the brain, hoping that would bring vision back to Mr. Owl. 

Fast forward to last Friday.  Mr. Owl, (now called Mr. Mayfield, after the road where he was found) was released back into the wild from MY YARD. With full vision, and fully recovered!  It was truly a miracle!  What a blessing that he had the care he needed to recover!

P.S. Anna has been volunteering at this wildlife rehab center every week and has gotten to see Mr. Mayfield's progress all along the way.  These memories are priceless!

Click here to see Mr. Mayfield's release from my yard!!

No comments: