Thursday, November 8, 2007

Miss Naughty Dog

Our new dog, Bella has been going through a "naughty" phase. From deciding to run away at the park, to eating everything outside that's edible, to not listening--she's had a rough week or so.

We've only had her for a month and a half, but we made sure to sign her up for obedience classes, which we've been attending for the last 6 weeks. She's done OK in the classes, but this week, being her "naughty week", I took Bella to class and told the instructor, jokingly, that our dog was for sale....no, that I would give her away.

The instructor answered many of my questions and gave me some good advice on how to deal with Miss Naughty Dog. She asked me if I wanted to try the "gentle leader" collar which I know had changed the attitude of several dogs in the class. I agreed, and after several (about 10) minutes of bucking like a bronco, she settled down and became a dog that I had never seen before....a calm, attentive, little sweetheart.
It was an amazing transformation!!!

At the end of each obedience class, there is a contest. It may be to see whose dog can sit the fastest or whose dog can stay in a "sit, stay" the longest. Well, Miss Naughty dog has never won any of these contests, but guess what????

Miss Naughty dog was the champion this week!!!! Defeating another dog (a neighbor's dog with the "gentle leader" collar) that has won two weeks in a row!!!!! Yea!! Check out the "trophy" we get to keep for the week!!!



This whole training thing makes me tired....and could somebody throw away that new dog collar???

No comments: