Monday, November 5, 2007

Football game

From swimming lessons to various birthday parties to high school football games- our Saturday was full. I guess I was looking forward to going to our local high school's playoff football game on Saturday considering I haven't been to a high school game since 1986. The beauty of it all was that John and I would be taking Andrew and one of his friends to the game so I was anticipating getting to sit with my hubby and "chat" on our "date". First of all, we got there too late to get a seat on the bleachers so we ended up standing away from the crowd, in the end zone, by the band, where the cold winds were howling nearly 20 miles an hour...OK I exaggerated a little. But it was cold. Nose dripping on a date is NOT attractive!!



As I'm standing there, waiting for my beloved to stand and chat with me, I noticed that not a word he was saying was actually to ME...it said to the football, as in "get down, get down!" or to the players...."Hey, that was a facemask!" or just a general sound that sounded like he was slurping up soup through a straw.
I was trying to be grown up about the fact that he was ignoring me and actually watching the game, but I just couldn't. I immediately flipped back into "high school mode" and started looking for friends to chat with, which is really hard to do when you're surrounded by lots of men, in the end zone, and they're spewing words to the football players too. Who really cared about the game, anyway. It was the enemy...taking my man from me.

We eventually moved over closer to the bleachers to get out of the arctic breeze and a funny thing started to happen. We couldn't see the game as well from the side, so he started talking...Hmmmmm. He would ask me, "What do YOU see as the turning point in the game? Oh boy, I had to act as though I was as interested in the game as he was. "Um....the turning point for me was when we moved OUT of the arctic breeze." or "maybe it was when I saw this".....



Anyway, we had to leave the game a little early to pick up a child from a b-day party but we had a great conversation about how men really LOVE sports and women are social creatures and things like that. It was all good! Once we realized that we were both "wired" differently, we could move on.

Enough about the game...we went out for dinner that night at Cracker Barrel. The fireplace felt SO good as my toes were still ice cubes from the afternoon football game!!



But mayday, mayday... we have a problem.... someone has a fever and a sore throat.


and someone is experimenting with ice cream and chocolate milk again....


and someone brought their instrument home for the first time this year....



Never a dull moment here!! Over and out... Jill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so who won the game? Do I need to ask John? Hee-hee. No really who won do you know? We never heard.

Send Andrew our love across the way. :) Wolfs